If you’re looking for a fun and unique way to make your own Christmas decorations, Jesmonite is a great option! Jesmonite is a water-based, environmentally-friendly resin that can be used to create all sorts of beautiful pieces. With the easy-to-use Jesmonite AC100, you can make everything from ornaments to nativity scenes.
Here are some great Christmas decoration ideas using Jesmonite.
What Is Jesmonite?
Jesmonite is a composite material made from gypsum and water-based acrylic resin. It was invented in 1984 by Peter Hawkins in the UK. Jesmonite is produced in either a powder or liquid form and can be used to create both hard and flexible objects. It is often used as an eco-friendly alternative to plaster, concrete, or fiberglass.
Jesmonite is highly versatile and can be molded, cast, carved, or machined into any shape. It can also be colored or patterned using a variety of techniques. In recent years, Jesmonite has become increasingly popular for use in architectural and design applications. Thanks to its durability, low cost, and aesthetic appeal, Jesmonite is here to stay.
Key Properties of Jesmonite
Let us look at the key properties of Jesmonite that make it an attractive material for crafters.
- Used in Various Applications: Jesmonite is a water-based, composite material that is used in a variety of applications, including sculpture, architectural features, and furniture.
- Versatile: Jesmonite is made from gypsum, acrylic resins, fillers, and pigments. As mentioned, it can either be cast, carved, or sculpted into various shapes and sizes.
- Strong & Durable: Jesmonite is strong and durable, yet lightweight and easy to work with. It can be sanded, drilled, and painted, making it versatile for various projects.
- Eco-Friendly & Sustainable: Jesmonite is non-toxic and does not release harmful chemicals into the environment. It is also recyclable and does not require the use of harmful solvents during its production. It is an eco-friendly alternative to concrete, plaster, resins, and fiberglass.
- Fire Resistance: Jesmonite has excellent fire resistance properties and does not emit toxic fumes when burned.
- Affordable: Jesmonite is an affordable material that is available in a variety of colors and finishes.
How to Make Christmas Decoration Ornaments Using Jesmonite AC 100?
Jesmonite is the perfect material for creating unique and beautiful Christmas decorations with your family. Jesmonite AC100 Starter Kit features a water-based composite material that is easy to work with and can be molded, cast, or carved. It is also non-toxic and safe for children as it contains no solvents or VOCs. With a little creativity, you can make one-of-a-kind ornaments that will be cherished for years to come.
Below we provide some helpful tips when creating beautiful and unique Christmas decorations using Jesmonite. With Jesmonite, the possibilities are endless! Get creative and have fun!
Materials Required to Make Christmas Decorations from Jesmonite
- Jesmonite AC 100 (Base + Liquid)
- Clean bucket or mixing bowl
- Mixer (optional)
- Mold or flat surface to pour Jesmonite on
- Christmas cookie cutters (use with APW Wax Release Agent)
- Glitter or Metallic Paint (optional)
Instructions for Making Christmas Decoration Ornaments Using Jesmonite
- The ratio of Jesmonite powder to liquid is always 2.5:1 by weight. Stir until the mixture is smooth and resembles that of a pancake batter.
- If mixing by hand, mix the Jesmonite powder and liquid in a clean bucket until it forms a smooth paste. Make sure there are no air bubbles or lumps.
- If using a mixer, mix the Jesmonite powder and liquid on low speed for one minute, then increase the speed to medium and mix for an additional two minutes.
- Once the Jesmonite is mixed, pour it into a mold or onto a surface to create your desired shape.
- Use Christmas cookie cutters to cut out shapes from the Jesmonite.
- Let the Jesmonite harden for a minimum of 5-6 hours before removing it from the mold or surface.
- Sand the edges of the Jesmonite ornaments if necessary.
- Paint the Jesmonite with colors of your choice. You can use sparkle paint or add glitter for a festive touch.
- Drill a small hole at the top of each Jesmonite ornament.
- String a ribbon or thread through the hole and tie it in a loop.
- Hang the Jesmonite ornaments on your Christmas tree or around your home.
Storage and Cleaning Tips for Your Finished Jesmonite Christmas Ornaments
- Store your finished Jesmonite Christmas Ornaments in a cool, dry place.
- Avoid exposing Jesmonite to direct sunlight, as it can cause the material to yellow over time.
- If your Jesmonite Christmas ornament gets dirty, you can clean it with soap and water. Avoid using harsh cleaners or chemicals, as they can damage the Jesmonite.
- If you are not planning on displaying your Jesmonite Christmas ornament immediately, you can store it in an airtight container to keep it from drying out.
Where to Buy Jesmonite and Other Supplies Needed for Christmas Ornaments?
Jesmonite is available at many hardware stores, but you can also buy it online from SSG Brands. As the leading distributors of Jesmonite in not only Canada and the USA, but also Puerto Rico and many other countries, SSG Brands is your one-stop-shop for all Jesmonite products.
Our retail and wholesale partners come from a wide variety of industries, including but not limited to woodworking, building & construction supplies, carpentry, landscape supply, plumbing, electrical, contractors, metalworkers, hobbyists, industrial supplies, and more.
Create a one-of-a-kind Christmas ornament or gift item and spread some Christmas joy this year! You may follow the basic instructions listed above or mix things up a bit and make a design on your product, do it in Terracotta style, marble patterning, or add glitter. The choice is yours, and we guarantee that you will fall in love with Jesmonite!
Shop online or get in touch to find a dealer near you.
Also Read: Jesmonite: The Eco-Friendly Resin for Artists and DIY Crafters