Jesmonite is popular among crafters and designers thanks to its versatility. It is suitable for creating many beautiful designs ranging from jewellery, terrazzo coasters, soap dishes, and bowls.
Are you a DIY crafter or artist and looking for some inspiration? In this article, we will explore popular Jesmonite creations and how to make them.
What Is Jesmonite?
Jesmonite is a composite material composed of gypsum, filler substances, and acrylic polymers. It can be molded into any size and shape because it is lightweight. It is water-resistant and can withstand high temperatures making it versatile and durable, and aside from this, Jesmonite is also eco-friendly because of its water-based composition. These are unique features make Jesmonite a superior alternative to resin-based materials like fiberglass and polyester.
Popular Jesmonite Creations Ideas
The sky’s the limit when it comes to Jesmonite. Learn how to make some amazing Jesmonite creations below!
Jesmonite Terrazzo Coasters
View this post on Instagram
Terrazzo coasters can be made into different sizes and shapes for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Arrange a workspace to use
- Choose your colour scheme and design for the chips
- Mix the Jesmonite chip mixture: 25g powder and 10g liquid (2.5:1 ratio)
- Add your desired pigment to the chip mixture
- Spread the mixture thinly on plastic sheeting
- Repeat steps 2-4 for any additional chip colours you want
- Let the chip mixture set for 10 minutes
- Crush chips into smaller pieces and set aside
- Mix the base mixture: 300g powder and 120g liquid (slightly dryer than chip mixture)
- Stir chips into the base mixture and pour into mold
- Let coasters set for 30 minutes to 1 hour
- Ease coasters from their mold
- Sand coasters with sandpaper (start with coarse grit and move to finer grit)
- Seal with beeswax or other clear-finish sealant for a fine finish.
Custom Soap Dishes
View this post on Instagram
Another amazing product you can make with Jesmonite is a soap dish. Learn how to make a beautiful custom soap dish with Jesmonite in the steps below.
- Mix the Jesmonite powder and liquid base thoroughly in a mixing bowl
- Add pigment and stir the mixture evenly to achieve the desired colour
- Pour the mixture into the mold; remember to clean the mold to ensure it is free of any debris or residue
- Gently pour the Jesmonite mixture into the mold
- You can add a design if you want. To create a pattern on the top of the soap dish, drop a few dots and lines of the coloured Jesmonite onto the bottom of the mold.
- Add the rest of the uncoloured Jesmonite on top and tap the mold gently to remove any air bubbles and to ensure that the mixture settles into the mold evenly
- Allow to set: Leave the Jesmonite mixture in the mold to set for the recommended time, usually 24 hours. This will give the mixture enough time.
- Remove the soap dish from the mold once the Jesmonite has set, carefully remove it from the mold by gently pulling on the edges.
- Sand the soap dish to remove any rough edges or surface imperfections. You can also apply a sealer or finish to the soap dish to protect it against heat, moisture, grease, and stains.
- Your custom Jesmonite soap dish is now ready to use. Place your soap in the dish and enjoy its unique and handmade design.
Plant pots can be made with Jesmonite and customized with different colours to make it beautiful.
- Prepare a mold that is the desired shape and size for your plant pot
- Combine the Jesmonite powder and liquid and stir the mixture thoroughly until it reaches a creamy consistency
- Add pigment of your choice in different styles to achieve the desired colour
- Pour the mixture slowly into the mold, filling it to the desired level
- Tap the mold gently to remove any air bubbles and to ensure that the mixture settles into the mold evenly
- Leave the Jesmonite mixture in the mold to set for the recommended time; this will allow it to harden and become solid
- Once set, carefully remove the plant pot from the mold and sand.
Design beautiful jewellery with Jesmonite that will be the star of your outfit.
- Get all your materials ready
- Prepare the molds of the different sizes and shapes you want for your jewellery
- Mix the Jesmonite and add your desired pigment
- Pour the mixture into the mold carefully and tap to remove bubbles
- Make a small hole where desired for findings such as earring hooks
- Remove from the mold and sand
- Finish and add findings
- Your beautiful handmade Jesmonite jewellery is now ready to wear
Here is how to make bowls with Jesmonite AC100
- Weigh out Jesmonite AC 100 liquid and Jesmonite
- Mix the liquid and base together
- Add Jesmonite pigment and mix together
- Clean and check the mold for any debris
- Brush on a 1-2 mm first layer
- Pre-cut and apply Jesmonite Quadaxial Glass
- Repeat step 1-4
- Brush a layer of Jesmonite round the mold
- Pour the remaining mixture in the center of the mold
- Put the mold back together and screw in place
- Tap the mold to vibrate the mixture into place and to avoid air packets
- Leave AC100 in the mold for 2 hours minimum
- Demould the AC 100 Jesmonite bowl
- Finish your Jesmonite bowl and that’s it!
Contact SSG Brands or Shop for Your Jesmonite Products Online
Jesmonite can be used for any project you can think of. From sculptures, tabletop decor, and even casting hands with Jesmonite. Jesmonite is especially perfect for body part casting because it captures details accurately.
Whether you’re an artist, designer, or manufacturer, you should try out Jesmonite and see the many projects this amazing material can make for you!
SSG Brands carries Jesmonite AC100, AC 730, and other types of Jesmonite products. Whether you want to make candle holders, plant pots, sculptures, jewellery, body parts castings or other projects, contact us today and let’s help you bring your idea to life.